Brigitta Both (born 1978 in Hungary) is a contemporary visual artist working in the mediums of painting, collage, photography and video art. She currently lives and works in Barcelona, Spain.
She studied fashion design and worked as a designer in the fashion industry for fifteen years. She moved to England in 2007, accompanying his scientist husband who was completing his PhD studies at the University of Oxford. She was deeply affected by the new surroundings and started expressing herself through painting, collage, photography and video art. These experiments were meant to be her personal project, she kept her works private.
Having to experience the difficulties an emigrant has to face like many foreigners who struggle with fitting in a different culture, Brigitta found comfort in creating artworks, and used art as self-therapy. The starting point of her works is always a personal experience, that explains why her works seem so personal to the viewer, perhaps sometimes even unusually intimate.
Brigitta moved to Barcelona in 2015. After presenting her works for the very first time to curators, she had her first exhibitions and in 2017 she won the 15th BBVA de Pintura Ricard Camí Award for her painting Synchronized. A work for which the jury has highlighted the “perfect blend of two pictorial concepts, realism and abstraction, the approach to minimalism and the absence and silence that transmits through the contrast of black and white”. Her art career hit her like a storm, as she tells in an interview, winning the award took her as an incredible surprise.
Since the Ricard Camí Award Brigitta has continued working in her Barcelona studio with various materials, recycled papers, acrylic paint, ink and video art. Fascinated by black and white photography, she paints in a minimalist, monochrome style as a simple yet powerful way to express the beauty of the infinite shades of human emotions.
Interested and inspired by psychology, her works are profound pieces with a powerful psychological component that fuse the figurative and abstract worlds. Her subjects deal with our daily mental struggles, our desperate need for harmony, beauty, security and love in a world where those are not easy to find. Nevertheless, her works attempt to show that beauty is everywhere around us and the ability of recognising it can help us through the difficulties.
- Context Art Miami (art fair) Miami, USA - represented by N2 Gallery
- Skin (collective exhibition) N2 Gallery, Barcelona, Spain
- Monochrome (solo exhibition) Centre Cultural Terrassa, Terrassa, Spain
- Blaue Stunde VIII (collective video art festival) Alte Feuerwache Köln, Cologne, Germany
- Premio BBVA de Pintura Ricard Camí (collective exhibition), Centre Cultural Terrassa, Terrassa, Spain
- Fragile (solo exhibition), Olivart Art Gallery, Barcelona, Spain
- Pas a pas (collective exhibition), Olivart Art Gallery, Barcelona, Spain
- One Collage - One Song (solo exhibition and concert with Professor Nazneen Rahman), Olivart Art Gallery, Barcelona, Spain
- Fearless (solo exhibition), Olivart Art Gallery, Barcelona, Spain
- Art en Femení (collective exhibition), Auditori Barradas, L'Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain